Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Sister's Keeper

On Saturday night I was a guest speaker at My Sister's Keeper, a local weekend retreat for Louisville area middle and high school girls founded this year. The theme of the weekend was "Happy With Me" and the activities for the girls ranged from hip-hop aerobics sessions and self-defense classes to girl talk time. The weekend was designed to help build the girls' confidence but the retreat was also meant to be fun. And on Saturday night it was up to me to keep the party going.

Going along with the theme, my talk was called "How I Learned To Be Happy with Me." I spoke with the girls about how I managed to love my body and my looks despite my big hair and small boobs and how I dealt with boys who tried to pressure me into sex when I was their age. I told them I was a nerd and tried my best to convince them that they should be one too. I think it may have even worked.

Later that night, girls gave me hugs, asked for my business card and said things like, "You really inspired me," and I wanted to cry. But they have no idea how much the night inspired me.

After my talk, the girls, volunteers and I all sat in a circle and many of the girls shared heartbreaking stories of the things they're dealing with or have dealt with at home, including parents struggling with drug addictions and mental illnesses. But despite all this these girls were so kind to one another, they were so positive and they were so determined to go to college and pursue their dreams. I was blown away by their strength.

Furthermore, I was inspired by Mandi Mohammed, the founder of My Sister's Keeper. This stay-at-mom could have easily stuck to just caring for her own children, which I'm sure is taxing enough. But instead she decided to reach out to other girls in need with this program, a program I am certain changed lives this weekend.

No comments: