Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Distinguished professional?

I spent the past few days at my alma mater, the University of Alabama, helping out with its Multicultural Journalism Workshop, an annual summer program for high school students interested in journalism. During the weekend I also received a "Distinguished Professional" award from the organization. Frankly, I don't feel like a distinguished anything, but I felt honored.

Many of the young people I spoke with this weekend said I really encouraged them to pursue their dreams and find their voice as a writer. And as I thumbed through issues of Velocity Weekly with a few of them their eyes lit up and they squealed, "Omigod, this is so cool!" That's when I remembered that I do have a pretty awesome job and maybe I'm a "distinguished professional" after all.

No comments: