Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A bittersweet week

I was on vacation last week and my husband and I traveled to Virginia to visit his family and friends. I had a chance to tour museums and a famous battleship with my mother-in-law and I finally started a book I've been toting around all summer. I ate too much and beat my high score on the Bejeweled game on my cell phone. I also went to Virginia Beach where my husband and I played in the ocean like kids and both picked up some sexy chocolate tans.

But while I was away I also heard news of the deaths of comedian and actor Bernie Mac and soul legend Isaac Hayes. A young woman at my husband's former church in Virginia died of cancer last week as well. My week was a bittersweet one as I was reminded of our mortality day after day.

But sitting around worrying about death won't keep us or our loved ones on this earth any longer. Don't worry, I'm not going to tell you to live each day as if it were your last. I'm sure most of us wouldn't spend our last day on earth at work but you have to go anyway just in case it's not your last day after all. So instead I'll just say to live and love like you mean it. Try to make each moment as good as it can get, because in the end that's really all we can do.

No comments: